Uncategorized · April 6, 2020

Flower Drying Attempt No. 1

Hey there loves! Hope everyone is safe and okay in these trying times. COVID-19 has truly effected is all in many different ways, but in some sense, it made is more aware of all the people we share this Earth with. Be kind and understanding when possible. Since we are all stuck at home anyways, here’s some new content! Going to be experimenting with different flower drying techniques, explaining my times, and whether it was successful or not. So, just for fair warning some of these methods won’t be “proper”, I’m just figuring out what works for me personally. Let’s go.

So, for starters I want to just give you an idea on how I get my materials and flowers… Get ready it’s a wild secret.

NATURE! Yay! I am always scouting out wildflowers on walks. Even if it doesn’t seem like something I’d use for resin, I’ll at least grab it for the sake of drying techniques. Sometimes I am looking for either a specific color or even a flower, in that case I will go to any local place I can find them. Sometimes, you just can’t get what you want! Drives me mad. But overall I have good luck. Whole foods and Trader Joe’s seem to have gold selections throughout the seasons. Also I’m sure you can order some online.. but for me that takes away from the fun and process.

So, if you’ve been following me for a bit you might know I just moved to Seattle! Not the best timing considering the world wide pandemic we are dealing with. But, once things are open again, I can’t wait to explore. My husband and I also lucked out on a beautiful apartment for a great price! Well, we had only been in Seattle for two days and I was already working on my process.

Wildflowers fern and tropical

Listen, I know that you are probably looking at that picture and rolled your eyes. It was day two!! I didn’t have any parchment paper, and there isn’t an ounce of patience inside me… so I had to use what I had. Tinfoil it was. Parchment paper would have been my first choice here, but the aluminum foil seemed to do okay. I try to cut them into the smallest form, hoping for a quicker bake. The smaller flowers I tend to leave in bunches. I find that I have better luck getting them apart once dried and without crumbling at a touch. Granted, most of this is trial and error, so we will see!

Time to bake. You want to preheat your oven as low as it can go, 100-150 degrees would be ideal, but I know most ovens won’t go below 150 degrees. The new oven I have only allows me to go down to 170 degrees, so it will have to do! Once preheated, I put the flowers in and set a 5 minute timer. After a couple 5 minute cycles I decided to bump it up to 10 minute cycles. While waiting in between cycles I made sure to leave the oven door slightly cracked to release the moisture. I ended up doing this for about 2 hours.

This is where my flaws get ahead of me. I decided to take them out, even though they were not completely dry. The smaller flowers were dry, but the others definitely needed more time. Once I took them out I let them cool and placed them on my windowsill, which gets many hours of direct sunlight. I have now waited four days and they seem to be usable! Dry but a little flimsy. I plan on giving them another few days and will review my outcome later on. For my second round I think I will be doing longer periods of time, maybe 15 minutes. Feel free to reach out. Also if you have tips don’t hold out on me! I am always looking for more ideas.

%d bloggers like this: